Dau Go Cave

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

The grotto is on Driftwood Island. Seen from afar, the entrance to the grotto appears to be blue, and has a shape similar to that of a jellyfish.

After 90 steps up the island, the entrance is reached. The ceiling of the grotto is about 25 m. Hundreds of stalactites falling down from the roof of the grotto look like a waterfall.

The grotto is divided into three main parts.
The exterior is a room with a vault full of natural light. Many forms may be seen in the rock formations of the chamber, depending on the imagination of the visitor of course.

Crossing the first chamber, one enters the second chamber through a narrow passage. The light here is mysterious, and new images appear in the stone. It makes us having a fear and be inquisitive.
The third chamber of the grotto is widely opened. At the end of the grotto is a well of clear water. Looking up in the dim light we recognize that surrounded is the image of an ancient citadel and a scuffle of elephants, horses, man with bristly sword and spear. All are making a rush and be petrified suddenly.

The name Driftwood Grotto came from a popular story of the resistance war against the Yuan – Mongolian aggressors. In a decisive battle, Tran Hung Dao was given the order to prepare many ironwood stakes here, to be planted on the riverbed of Bach Dang River. The remaining wooden pieces found in the grotto have given it its present name.

And the name Giau Go is associated with the legend that General Tran Hung Dao (1226-1300) hid ironwood stakes in preparation for the Bach Dang battle against the Yuan-Mongolian invaders.

If the Thien Cung Grotto is monumental and modern (in its natural form), then Driftwood Grotto is solemn, but also grandiose. In “Marvels of the World,” published in France in 1938, the author called the grotto “Grotte des merveilles” (a site of many marvels)

In the first chamber, in the very middle of the grotto, is a colossal pillar supporting the large vault. On the top of the pillar, there appears to be a monk draped in a long, dark cloak, with his right hand clasping a cane.

The second chamber is narrow. Here, the stalactites look smaller but more graceful. One feels like going to a pagoda with a monk in meditation so that one steps more gently.

The third chamber features high stone columns out of which nature has carved images of a large kingdom, of heroes and soldiers holding swords and spears rushing up, of war elephants and horses or lions, etc. All of them suddenly was petrified and remained there for good.

In 1917, Emperor Khai Dinh came to visit the grotto, and amazed by the beauty of the place, ordered the erection of an engraved stone stele singing the praises of Ha Long Bay and the grotto. Today, it remains to the right-hand side of the entrance.

Promotions

Glimpse of the North

Highlights: Full land package tour with the most higlights in the North in a short time: Hanoi (Ho Chi Minh’s Mausoleum (outside view) , One Pillar Pagoda, and the Temple of Literature- Vietnam’s first university, cyclo ride around the Old Quarter, Enjoy Water Puppet Show), Halong Bay ( Luon Cave,...

booking now

Our Cruises

Itineraries

HÀ NỘI HEAD OFFICE
81C Ly Nam De Str, Hoan Kiem Dis, Hanoi Tel: (+84) 24 3747 4558 - Fax: (+84) 24 3747 4575  Email: sales@halongphoenixcruiser.com
HALONG SALES OFFICE
Group 4, Area 5, Bai Chay Str, Quang Ninh Tel: (+84) 203 351 1592 - Fax: (+84) 203 351 1592 Email: sales@halongphoenixcruiser.com
HOCHIMINH SALES OFFICE
21 Huynh Tinh Cua, 8th Ward, 3rd Dis, Ho Chi Minh Tel: (+84) 28 3820 2090 - Fax: (+84) 28 6291 1898 Email: sales@halongphoenixcruiser.com